Sunday, October 5, 2008

My First Pregnancy Rant

I haven't posted in a while but school has been so crazy. Anyway...I would just like to express my feelings regarding my pregnancy and strangers.

In general, I am very open to advice about pregnancy, birthing, parenting, and other related issues because I am a first time mom and its very scary to realize how blindly we go into likely the most important job of my life.

That being said. Advice from strangers can be really annoying. Take for example my recent trip to the store.

The weather recently has gotten chilly. Not jacket chilly per se, but chilly at least in the mornings. I have been trying to fit into some of my sweaters to combat the 50 degree mornings. I decided that I didnt' like the idea of stretching out all my pre-pregnancy sweaters so I decided to go shopping for a maternity or new, bigger sweater.

After searching ALL the stores in town that sell maternity clothes and some that don't, I was not pleased at the selection of sweaters. Admittedly I am a cheapskate and I don't want to pay $45 for a sweater. So I get home and have a coupon to Fashion Bug in my mailbox.

I am excited because Fashion Bug has alot of plus size clothes, they are usually a season ahead and its right across the street from my house.

So I find a sweater. $30 then I have a $10 off coupon. A price I can totally handle. So I am checking out and the lady at the counter asks if I tried on their new jeans. I politely say, I am pregnant so I really can't wear regular jeans. She looks at me and says:

"Why do you want this sweater then? You won't need it."

I (again politely) explain that in the mornings when I go to work, its pretty chilly and not appropriate to wear a t-shirt. She again says:

"Really, you won't need a sweater, you'll be so hot cause your pregnant, I was sooo hot when I was pregnant"

I just look at her and say, "Yes, so I hear, Can I please pay for my sweater??"

UGH!! Seriously! I mean, I understand that come December and January when I am 8 and 9 months pregnant I probably won't need a heavy coat. But at my current 5 and a half months...I need a sweater DAMN IT!!

I really wanted to let Pregzilla out and yell "JUST LET ME BUY THE DAMN SWEATER!!!!"

Finally she let me buy it, but geesh! Its almost as bad as the looks I get for carrying a starbucks coffee cup (HELLO! They also sell hot chocolate and DECAF!!)

Anyway, I haven't really encountered too much of this so far, but I have a feeling, its only the beginning

:D

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I sympathize--not that I get pregnancy advice, seeing as how I'm not nor have I ever been pregnant--but I get very annoyed by the unsolicited advice of strangers or even casual acquaintances regarding my career, my love life, my politics, whatever. So yeah...I feel ya.

On a side note, it's very obvious that ol' girl at Fashion Bug did NOT work on commission, LOL.